This One Goes To 11...Part 11
17 July 2007
Words by Simon Milburn
In the eleventh installment of several brief interviews with various Relapse Records artists, I caught up with Dying Fetus guitarist Mike Kimball for a very quick chat. Again although I'm not a fan of direct question and answer formatted interviews, in this case given that the interviews are short, succinct and fairly general over all, this format suits.
1. How did you get involved in music?
"I guess the day came when playing air guitar was not enough, I needed to know how to play my favorite music for real. So I started taking lessons when I was 14, and it immediately turned into a life-long commitment. I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and I hoped I had the ability to back it up."
2. How did you become a part of your current band?
"I was helping a mutual friend with his Cannibal Corpse fan site, and he mentioned that Dying Fetus needed a guitar player. He was their webmaster at the time also. I took some time to learn some songs and then made an audition video of myself and sent it to them. I flew to Maryland to audition in person in August 2002, and that was it."
3. How would you describe your latest album?
"This album is a return to our classic sound in many ways, but at the same time we have grown musically so the technical parts are more prevalent. We wanted the album to be more aggressive than anything we had done before, yet maintain the style that our fans and we ourselves have come to expect."
4. What has been the highlight of your career to date?
"One of them just recently happened, when we did a one-month US tour with Cannibal Corpse, one of my all-time favorite bands. As far as my favorite show, I always think of Fury Fest in Le Mans, France. That show was huge, the crowd energy was awesome, the sound on stage was amazing, and we had so many friends there from the other bands."
5. Who would you like to tour with at some point and why?
"Two bands we have yet to tour with are Exodus and Slayer - both are favorites of mine, although you have to be brave to open for Slayer since the fans often don't want to hear anyone else."
6. What bands/artists are you a fan of?
"My all-time bands are Slayer, Exodus, Suffocation, and Cannibal Corpse, plus Judas Priest maybe. I also really like Goatwhore, Hate Eternal, and Nile - I listen to them often when I'm in the car or at the gym."
7. What are your top 3 albums of all time?
"1. Slayer - Reign In Blood
2. Suffocation - Pierced From Within
3. Cannibal Corpse - Bloodthirst"
8. Which bands/artists/musicians were a big influence on you and why?
"Besides the bands I mentioned, certainly Alex (Skolnick) from Testament, or Joe Satriani - different bands but both have a style of lead playing that I find really powerful yet not purely technical."
9. What do you like to do in your down time away from your band?
"I have a day job when we aren't touring, doing web development. I play a lot of Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2. I have a couple of other games I like - Vice City, or NFS Most Wanted... I also watch movies, go to the gym, go rollerblading, or maybe just hang out with friends at a restaurant or at home drinking some wine."
10. If you weren't doing this, what would you be doing?
"Good question - if I had not played music at all, I suppose I would have become a scientist or a fighter pilot or something. I also plan to start taking auto racing courses, so I'll see if I'm any good at that."
11. What are your thoughts on the state of metal today?
"I think it is doing well, and I'm glad I can be a part of it while playing exactly the kind of aggressive metal that I want to play. Of course it would be great if the scene got bigger, but for the most part I am happy with it."
Dying Fetus' latest album, War Of Attrition, is out now on Relapse Records through Riot! Distribution. For more information on Dying Fetus, check out www.dyingfetus.com.
More from Dying Fetus
- Dying Fetus - Supreme Slaughterhouse Australian Tour Announced [news]
- Napalm Death/Dying Fetus - Brisbane, Aus, 3 Sep, 2010 [live]
- Napalm Death With Guests Dying Fetus - 2010 Australian Tour Supports Announced [news]
- Napalm Death With Guests Dying Fetus - Announce September 2010 Australian Tour [news]
- Summer Slaughter Tour - Australian Shows Announced [news]